- 4 Prototypes ridden in world cups and world championships. Its first ever race brought home the 2008 Pan American Championship.
- 60 Preproductions of the Legend MkI were ridden and tested on the world cup circuit, national level races, and regional competitions all across the globe to gain feedback in over 4 race seasons in different terrains and conditions, from a varied skill level of riders; 12 of which were also engineer/racers that gave valuable input. Everything was on the table to modify, change or scrap and many things were as it developed into the MkII version
- Tuned virtual pivot design includes an anti-sag component under heavy pedal acceleration, and a minimal amount of tuned-in squat so under hard braking it helps balance the bike as the fork starts to dive thus letting the bike go into corners fairly level.
- All CNC'd parts are forged first for optimal strength to weight ratio.
- Hydroformed 7005 butted aluminum tubes putting the strength were it needs to be. All hand welded, aligned multiple times between heattreats before assembling, with 100% final quality checks by either Keith or Jay.
- Easy access to all the shock dials for quick changing of settings.
- Titanium pivot hardware for strength and lightness.
- All top of the line full compliment bearings, don't just make the suspension "buttery" smooth but more "slippery" smooth.
- Lowest center of gravity and low BB height helps cornering stability.- Centralized weight for stability in the air.- We've worked with all the major shock manufacturers to ensure our suspension kinematics work perfect with the shocks standard tunes right out of the box. However for maximum performance some shock manufacturers will tune to your weight, terrain, and style of riding and we have provided our suspension rates to most shock manufacturers and can do so for your favorite tuning center if they send us an email.
- Internally ribbed seat and chainstays for increased stiffness.
- 1.5 headtube so you have flexibility in headset cup choices.
- 12x150 Maxle for quick tire changes.
See your Dealer for custom build options.
Currently Banshee at this time doesn't offer a build kit spec for the Legend
After 4 year of development, born from my own personal masters in engineering thesis, the Legend is a single minded pure bread DH race machine.
The project started out way back in 2005 as a linkage dynamics and stress analysis project, it has grown massively and been refined over the years with multiple design improvements. The majority of those redesigns were as a result of rider feedback.We started with the Legend MkI and we didn't just send this bikes out to a couple of our team riders. Oh no... we sent them to over 70 riders, who raced DH from regional to world cup level on 5 continents, over 4 riding seasons. Every test rider provided feedback and suggestions as well as ongoing performance information to help me make this bike the best it could be. This unprecedented level of testing, has been invaluable in the development of the Banshee Legend MkII.
We decided early on that when you want to start racing only one thing should be your motivation and that is to win. There was to be no compromising on cost, it was to take as much time as needed, and we would do whatever was necessary to make sure we had a one of the fastest DH race bikes ever made. The goal was not selling as many as we could... this is the wrong reasons to build a DH Race bike - the only reason to ever build a race machine is to win.
The Legend MkII comes stock with the finest large diameter deep-grove bearings, and full titanium pivot hardware to give maximum performance for minimal weight. The fully forged shock basement has been designed to offer strong yet light foundation for the frame, centralizing the weight balance around the BB. The suspension has been designed to work optimally for aggressive DH racing, and remains fully active under hard braking and pedaling.
The Legend has possibly the lowest center of gravity of any DH race bike, which makes the bike more stable, especially while railing round corners. This combined with the structural stiffness of the frame through use of internally ribbed rear triangle, fully forged sections, and hydro-formed tubing, makes the Legend a very accurate weapon on the DH course. The Low BB, and slack head angle, combined with the initially rearward axle path give the Legend MkII superior stability at speed, as well as great square edge bump absorption. It is a true point and shoot machine that will give you maximum traction and control over even the roughest lines, so that you can brake later and go round the next corner faster, getting to the bottom of the course quicker.
I feel that I have put everything I had to give into the Legend MkII and after 5 years to get to this point its now time to see what racers the world over think of what I've labored to achieve.
Write your own review here
Recommend it here
Discuss it here
Everything else on the Legend here
Frequently Asked Questions
The Legend is a no holds barred, downhill race winning machine. Developed over 4 years, the Legend is built for speed. With 8 inches of plush suspension travel, hydroformed 7005 alloy construction and oversized titanium pivot hardware, the Legend is destined for the podium.